Robert Caswell

The first time you take a leap, the unknown and your imagination help you through. The second time there is no unknown and your imagination hinders you.

Monday, May 11, 2009

I survived the first week

I remember thinking that the change over from Dr. G. to SCCA was a little rocky and that it was taking them forever to get me in and dose me. And then it's three days into chemo and I am barely able to understand what was going on around me! The opiod load they had me on was, shall me say, a little much. Like 3 times too much, I couldn't even figure out what muscles to relax to pee! My first round of chemo last year was a protocol commonly called 7-3. Seven days of a nasty chemo drug #1 interspersed with three days of a really nasty chemo drug. My current protocol is a 5 day program, with five days of nasty chemo drug #1 and at the same time five days of another nasty chemo drug , but wait there is more! In addition to 5 days of two nasty chemo drugs I'm in some new protocol when they give me, daily, GCSF. This drug forces my bone marrow to swell and produce large amounts white cells. The idea , if I understand it, is to have my body produce all the bad white cells (cancer) that it can, and then kill them all. I guess my bone marrow will get tired, stop being able to produce white blood cells and the chemo drugs will kill everything and then... remission! Day three at UWMC my poppy fog was lifting, everyone was trying to get me to eat, but I would just throw up the awful hospital food. The nights brought fevers and shakes and unimaginable general discomfort. To counter the effects of the chemo I was put on heavy steroids, which caused me to go diabetic
Now we add insulin to the mix. Day four and I'm starting to get a grasp on what is going on around me. I know I couldn't have done any of this without my Lisa. With Dr. G. I knew who my doctor was, here at UWMC I have a team (very Seattle Grace) there is the 1st year resident, the 3rd year resident, the fellow, a pharmacist, several others and my UW doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment